Noncoincident Loads?

Questions about setting up and executing automated circuiting and regarding the use of the Circuit Manager and other circuiting tools.

Noncoincident Loads?

Postby DeanUser » Tue May 24, 2011 11:36 am

I have a variety of summer cooling related loads, like air conditioning, and winter heating related loads, like vestibule heaters and car plugs. When I have time, I will analyze these separate load groups on a specific panel or panels that combines summer and winter loads and only carry the larger of the two non-coincident load groups up to the panel parent for protection and load calculations. It is a fair amount of work since at each point in the distribution system, I have to redo my analysis to accommodate for a new combination of noncoincident loads.

In an unfortunatly large number of projects, I thus don't have time to do this analysis and end up just using all the loads all the time--obviously specifying unneccessarily large protection and conductors in all affected portions of the project's distribution equipment.

Does DraftLogic Electrical have any way to help me rightsize the distribution protection and conductors without me having to invest any extra time?
DeanUser

Re: Noncoincident Loads?

Postby forumadmin » Tue May 24, 2011 11:44 am

You are once again in luck. In our January 2011 release, we were proud to announce that DraftLogic Electrical includes the only completely automated noncoincident loads handling we are aware of for building electrical design software in the free world…and the not-so-free world for that matter!

You can now have an unlimited number of groups and subgroups of noncoincident loads in your project. At any point in the single line (aka power tree / electrical distribution system) where noncoincident loads from a group meet, only the largest load subgroup is included in the load calculations. To make this happen, all you have to do is put your choice of identifying phrases or numbers in the noncoincident groups ID and subgroup ID attributes that have been at the end of the attribute list on receptacle, wattage bearing junction boxes, and motors for some time. Were you wondering what those attributes were for? Now you know! This completely automated decision and calculation enhancement will enable you to design to maximum efficiency without having to spend hours calculating different loads in and out at various points of your project’s electrical distribution.

'Nonconcident Group ID' is the major category. All loads that share the same group (aka major category) will have the total of their subgroup evaluated at each point in the power tree versus other subgroups sharing the same major category. Only the highest load subgroup at each point in the power tree will have its load included in the protection and feeder calculations for the power tree member. You can use any combination of letters and numbers (but not 'special' characters like quotes) as names for your groups and subgroups. Some examples of groups could be WINTER or SUMMER.

'Noncoincident Subgroup ID' are where you indicate the subgroups of each major category. You can use any combination of letters and numbers (but not 'special' characters like quotes) as names for your groups and subgroups. Some examples of subgroups could be CARPLUGS, AIR CONDITIONING, or HEATERS.

All the motors, all the smart junction boxes, and many of the receptacles now have the noncoincident loads attributes, usually at or near the bottom of their attribute list in the DraftLogic Electrical Attribute Editor that automatically launches when you double click any of the DraftLogic Electrical symbols in AutoCAD.

I have prepared a drawing with some uses of noncoincident loads if you want to see how the noncoincident loads functionality works in a completed project—let me know if you would like to receive the drawing.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Return to Circuiting