Mixed version of AEC objects message making me CRAAAAAZY

General support questions regarding the use of DraftLogic Electrical that don't fit into any of the more specific forums.

Mixed version of AEC objects message making me CRAAAAAZY

Postby DeanUser » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Before DraftLogic Electrical, and even today when I am performing 'regular AutoCAD' work, I occasionally receive a "Mixed version of AEC objects participating in
this operation. Newer AEC objects will be disallowed..." message. No problem, click OK and it goes away and I continue merrily along. When I run a DraftLogic Electrical major function like making panel schedules, however, this message comes up a bazillion times. I am going to get finger tendinitis clicking the OK button :(

Is there something that can be done to get rid of this message?
DeanUser

Re: Mixed version of AEC objects message making me CRAAAAAZY

Postby forumadmin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Ah yes, the 'hey we really think you should upgrade your software' message from Autodesk!

What has happened is that a newer version of AutoCAD has been used to open and then save your drawing. It doesn't matter if it was raw AutoCAD or even if anything was even added/changed when that higher version of AutoCAD opened the drawing. It also does not matter if the person with the higher version had their 'Save As' setting set to the same version that you have! Autodesk could have released a hotfix to suppress this message but has not elected to do so, likely for two reasons: A) the message is annoying rather than indicative of anything actually wrong, and--my nasty opinion only-- B) if an older version user gets frustrated enough they will be 'encouraged' to purchase an upgrade.

As you have indicated, this message is not terribly annoying when you are not performing a sequence of operations that trigger it showing up. DraftLogic Electrical, with its myriad of highly automated processes, can trigger this message literally hundreds of times in a 'busy' function like the panel schedules generation that you cited as an example. So something that is 'not terribly annoying' becomes ridiculously annoying :(

The first time I ran into it, I made the mistake of hitting 'Enter' to clear it instead of clicking OK with the mouse pointer. Let's just say that I hit 'Enter' waaay too many times and ended up launching a few extra runs of the panel schedule since 'Enter' also suffices to perform your last action again once the panel schedules have completed...

There is, thankfully, a relatively quick solution.

By using the '-EXPORTTOAUTOCAD' command at your command line, you can create a new copy of the drawing that gets rid of the 'Mixed version of AEC objects' disease.

Note the hyphen at the start of the command, it is necessary.

The command prompt has several options:
Export options [ Format/ Bind/ bind Type/ Maintain/ Prefix/ Suffix/ ?] < Enter for filename>: Enter an option or press Enter to specify a file name

Format: I use 2000 just for giggles, simply have not tried anything else.
Bind: you probably want to set this as 'No' since 'Yes' will merge all your xrefs into the new drawing...'No' keeps xrefs set up as you have them in the current drawing
Bind Type: doesn't have an affect with Bind set to 'No', so ignore
Maintain: I have had desired results using 'Yes', which explodes all block instances within custom AEC objects into basic AutoCAD objects; if you find that some object you wanted left as-is gets damaged, try again with 'No'
Prefix/Suffix/Name: all to do with resultant file name

So by using the correct settings, your xrefs relationships will be intact and the only change will be that the annoying 'Mixed version of AEC objects' disease should be cured!
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby forumadmin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:39 pm

Important side note, thanks to Anton for pointing this out:

The -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD will delete the DraftLogic Electrical data stored in the drawing that tells what the drawing units type is. This is not the end of the world, all you have to do is have the project set correct in the Project Library when you load the newly exported drawing and have DraftLogic Electrical store the units type in the drawing again.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby forumadmin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:11 pm

A few updates and tips on this process!

The setting of the Format to '2000' is quite important, as newer AutoCADs will default to saving in the DWG format that is native to them...meaning you won't be able to open the export resultant file in a version of AutoCAD that uses an earlier DWG version (e.g. an AutoCAD 2011 export will be in 2010 DWG format which none of AutoCAD 2007/8/9 will be able to open).

Other than being careful with the 'Format' selection if you are intending on using the file in an earlier family of AutoCAD, the default values for -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD have been working OK.

A couple last important notes are that a) you can only open a drawing to perform -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD if the drawing was written to a DWG version that your version of AutoCAD can understand (this is painfully obvious if you have ever tried to open a 2010 version DWG with AutoCAD 2009 or earlier), and b) -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD is only guaranteed successful if used in the same or higher version of AutoCAD that the DWG was originally saved from (regardless of the 'Save As' version used therein). If whomever supplied you with the drawing is unable/unwilling to do the -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD for you, Autodesk supplies a free DWG viewer + converter that you can download a current version of & then use it to downconvert, Autodesk® DWG TrueView™.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Return to General Support