Exercising My Design Expertise

General support questions regarding the use of DraftLogic Electrical that don't fit into any of the more specific forums.

Exercising My Design Expertise

Postby DeanUser » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:53 pm

OK, so DraftLogic Electrical is the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread. I love how it does so much for me!

What do I do, however, when DraftLogic Electrical calculates something in the Single Line (you guys call it the power tree) differently than I desire? Is there a way for me to exercise my design expertise without having to do all sorts of painful workarounds?

Reminds me of some lines from that old 'Space Odyssey' movie:

Interviewer: HAL, you have an enormous responsibility on this mission, in many ways perhaps the greatest responsibility of any single mission element. You're the brain, and central nervous system of the ship, and your responsibilities include watching over the men in hibernation. Does this ever cause you any lack of confidence?
HAL: Let me put it this way, Mr. Amor. The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.

Does DraftLogic Electrical think it is infallible like HAL and that I have no value to add to the equation other than to be DraftLogic Electrical's CAD slave?
DeanUser

Re: Exercising My Design Expertise

Postby forumadmin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Ha, ha, Dean, you are a funny guy. I can honestly say that you are the funniest guy in your entire office :)

No, DraftLogic Electrical was not modeled after HAL. It was designed to provide vast automation to save you time but still to have ample opportunity for you to exercise your design expertise.

There are several ways you can affect the results. Your choice of method will depend on if you want to give things a 'nudge' or if you want to 'lay down the law' and show DraftLogic Electrical who is boss without even having to go near the power cord. After changing any or all of these, rerun the Panel Schedules, Single Line, and Bill of Materials to see the effects. When we refer to 'panel-like' devices, we mean power tree devices like branch circuit panels, secondary distribution panels, central distribution panels, motor control centers, and the main distribution panel. OK, probably would have been easier to say 'power tree devices other than transformers' :)

Existing/Future Wattage- an attribute on all panel-like power tree members, allows you to specify a whole number (positive or negative) to be factored into that power tree member's load calculations and also to flow upward through the power tree to affect all of its parents. This is a gentle nudge, as it leaves DraftLogic Electrical to still calculate protection and conductor values throughout your power tree. Since it leaves the calculated values 'in force' it is also a safer way to exercise your judgment since changes in load throughout the power tree will still work their way through all the protection and conductors.

Device Loads- modify the loads of devices at your discretion. Note that for motors you will need to modify the key value, which may or may not be load--could be HP, MCA, etc. Device load modification is another gentle nudge, as it leaves DraftLogic Electrical to still calculate protection and conductor values throughout your power tree. Since it leaves the calculated values 'in force' it is also a safer way to exercise your judgment since changes in load throughout the power tree will still work their way through all the protection and conductors.

Diversities and Demand Factors- these can be changed at all panel-like power tree members when you have specified for fixed values to be used in your project parameters, i.e. specification of a NEC demand factor overrides the diversity settings on each block. The diversity settings modify the % of each systems load that is included in the total load calculation for the panel-like device in consideration. There is even a generalized 'Load Adjust [%]' attribute that allows you to specify an arbitrary % modifier to the diversified system loads total. Fixed diversity % modification is another gentle nudge, as it leaves DraftLogic Electrical to still calculate protection and conductor values throughout your power tree. Since it leaves the calculated values 'in force' it is also a safer way to exercise your judgment since changes in load throughout the power tree will still work their way through all the protection and conductors.

Overrides- all power tree devices and motors have a number of override attributes on them. You can override one or many things at each of these devices: protection amperage, protection type, bus value, bond/ground conductor, and main conductors. You can also specify a minimum protection value instead of a fixed protection value. Using the overrides other than the minimum protection value is somewhat more 'dangerous' since that override stays in effect no matter how much you later change the load coming to each power tree member in your project. So use them with caution and ensure to adjust or remove the override value if the project changes enough to require it! Many of the overrides provide you with a list of values to select from. Those that do not, like the main conductors override (e.g. called 'Feeder Override' on branch circuit panels), require you to place the exact value you want in the field & DraftLogic Electrical will copy that into the 'Feeder Spec' field instead of the calculated feeder specification. To get the format correct and thus be something that the Bill of Materials can understand, I recommend copying a specification that is similar to what you want from another device and then make the modifications you desire in conductor counts, sizes, and parallelism.

Hopefully the above give you the tools to completely exercise your design discretion/expertise. If you have a situation where you need to do so but cannot see how to do it, let us know--we'll either help you out with doing so or you'll help us to identify a new place where we need to accommodate for designer discretion!
forumadmin
Site Admin

Return to General Support