Setting Up Project Drawings

Support questions regarding the use of automated room creation and methods for creating room (aka space) and floor boundaries manually. Also any questions regarding use of any of the other Drawing Discovery tools like ceiling grids, floor match placement, or representative object placement.

Setting Up Project Drawings

Postby DeanUser » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:10 pm

I am about to start a new project. In training, we went over a couple of different methods of getting room and floor boundaries ready & also how to make some decisions about how & whether to split a project's drawings up. Can you review that information for me?
DeanUser

Re: Setting Up Project Drawings

Postby forumadmin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:17 pm

In order for you to take advantage of the massive productivity gains that DraftLogic Electrical’s automated placement, automated circuiting, automated branch circuit wiring, and automated reporting can offer, there are only a few prerequisites. You need to represent the inner faces of each room or area of different treatment as a space boundary (aka room boundary), you need a room ID tag that identifies each space, and you need a boundary around the outside edge of each floor of the project.

These prerequisites can be created in a couple ways. The first option is for the designer to draw the boundaries and place the IDs. This takes less than a minute per room & copying can be done to speed to process for repetitive spaces of the same shape. Manually drawing is what the designer needs to do if the only data available for the project is PDF files, or raster format files (e.g. jpg or bmp) like from a scanner, or low quality DWGs. The second option is available if the architect source has been drawn and layered well and is available to you in DWG format, which includes 2D floor plan exports from ‘other than AutoCAD’ products like Revit. In this case, you can use DraftLogic Electrical’s automated room creation process to have DraftLogic Electrical create most of the space boundaries and room IDs for you.

For larger projects, the drawings should be set up to reflect designer responsibilities on the job. If there is a single designer on the job, it is most efficient to set all floors and systems up in a single drawing. If the project is being shared by system or by floor, all designers should have a copy of what they need for base data and design their systems/areas of responsibility up to and including the branch circuit panel placement and circuiting. They can run all reports, like panel schedules, to include the data that they ‘own’. For reports like the Single Line Drawing that touch on the entire project, the drawings need to temporarily come together (i.e. each designer can still own their systems/areas, the team leader just takes copies and inserts all into a consolidated master temporarily).

Once you have your boundary and ID prerequisites done, you are off and running to the races! With DraftLogic Electrical’s automation and drawing assist tools, the project will come together 200% to 1300% faster than if you use raw AutoCAD on its own.

Please feel free to send me the architect source drawing for your project & I will take a look and make a recommendation as to whether it would be best to jump in and draw the boundaries or instead to perform the drawing mapping > automated room creation process. Once we have walked through some projects together and looked at/discussed the criteria for making the decision, you will be more comfortable making the decision on your own.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Return to Room & Floor Boundary Creation & Other Drawing Discovery Tools