Exterior Lighting and Plugs

Questions about the use and process of automated placement and any of the manual methods of placing devices in your project.

Exterior Lighting and Plugs

Postby DeanUser » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:34 pm

I need to add some exterior lighting above/close to entry doors and at certain points along the exterior walls. I also need some waterproof plugs on the exterior walls. None of these are in an room, how can I include them in my project and get them circuited & scheduled how I want?
DeanUser

Re: Exterior Lighting and Plugs

Postby forumadmin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:35 pm

There are a couple of choices here, depends on how you want the exterior devices circuited and reported in the schedules.

If you want the exterior devices to circuit with the room they are on the exterior wall of, just increase the space allowed by the room boundary for that room and for the floor boundary in that area to include the exterior devices. This is most efficient for both circuit usage and for branch circuit wiring materials usage.

If you desire to keep the exterior devices in separate spaces from the interior devices, whether or not you want separate circuits, you can draw room boundaries and place room IDs especially for the exterior devices. This is where our use of the term 'room' has proven to be misleading since the room boundary is really just a space boundary, i.e. there doesn't need to be a room for you to decide to have a space boundary & you can even have more than one space boundaries used to cover one room if you desire. By using a separate room (aka space) boundary for the exterior devices, you can assign an 'Exterior' room type to those spaces that dictates to automated circuiting whether you want lighting and/or receptacles automated circuiting to share with neighboring spaces or not. When those exterior devices end up on separate circuits versus neighboring room devices, they will report your exterior room name on the panel schedule as their location, which you may desire.

The choice is also yours as to how granular you make the room boundary coverage for the exterior devices--you may opt to have all the north wall devices included in one closed polyline room boundary (and name it 'North Exterior' or the like), or you may want to use spaces as granular as for each exterior door and nearby wall space ('Entry 1A' for example).

NOTE that in either method, you only need to include the insertion point of the device within the room (aka space) boundary. So the space boundary does not need to cover much area at all. You may, however, want to use a space boundary that reflects the area of coverage for the exterior lighting if having an accurate watts/ft2 is desired for that space.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Return to Systems Placement